Zoomers are talking: can you understand them?
Saturday August 28th 2021 by SocraticDev
(updated with new word: poggers)
Youth always had its own private language. In my younger days, I remember moving to a new city and discovering kids my age used an array of unknown expressions to me. Quick! Better learn them fast. A common language defines a community and offers a feeling of belonging. Nowadays the community is global and youth shares thru Internet a common idiom older folks don't understand.
And they couldn't care less.
"Is it because the witness expresses himself so badly? There is another explanation. It's not because, uneasy, he poorly expresses himself that you don't understand him; it is because you won't understand him that he expresses himself so poorly." -- Elie Wiesel, foreword to "Night"(1960)
- poggers: "poggers refers to a specific emoticon available on Twitch which depicts a surprised-looking Pepe the Frog. The word “poggers” is used to express excitement during a game when something exciting occurs." You can use this word instead of based.
- yeet: "Yeet is an exclamation of excitement, approval, surprise, or all-around energy, often as issued when doing a dance move or throwing something."
- zoomer: "Refers to members of Generation Z and is a play on the term "Boomer," which refers to members of the Baby Boomer generation. The term Zoomer is also in reference to the fast-paced upbringings members of Generation Z are characterized to have due to the fast advances in technology and culture that has been happening around them as a result of the interconnectivity of the American and Global populations because of the ubiquity of internet-connected smart phones and social media."
- boomer: "a boomer is anyone who's older than you and is either complaining about younger generation, saying he hates his wife, or just believes in outdated beliefs about any subject. It can also be someone who doesn't know modern slang very well, or uses it in a "non-cool" way (not in a way that zoomer would use it) [A person] who wants things to go back to the way they were."
- chad: "The term originated in Chicago and originally referred in a derogatory way to call a young urban American man, typically single and in his twenties or early thirties. The term was later appropriated in incel forums to refer to sexually active "alpha males". Within the manosphere, Chads are viewed as constituting the top decile in terms of genetic fitness. In online animation drawings in the manosphere, a Chad is further tagged with the last name Thundercock and is often depicted as muscular with a very pronounced crotch bulge. One such depiction, in the 'Virgin vs. Chad' internet meme of the late 2010s, displayed the head of Chad in the same shape as the borders of the country of the same name.
- based: "Agreeable. Admirable. Worthy of support. Often used in contexts where the action or opinion ignores popular trends and social conventions or requires special effort. Used either seriously or tongue-in-cheek to encourage eccentric behavior for comedic effect."
- cringe: "When someone acts/ or is so embarrassing or awkward , it makes you feel extemely ashamed and/or embarrassed."
- manlet: "The term some males who feel inferior to another shorter male use. Typically the "manlet," would have a very attractive girlfriend/wife , will have a better physique, more money etc. and be more attractive over all. The taller male will then look for any flaws in there POV to hilight in the other male to raise there own self esteem."
- incel: "aka "involuntarily celibate", a person (usually male) who has a horrible personality and treats women like sexual objects and thinks his lack of a sex life comes from being "ugly" when its really just his blatant sexism and terrible attitude. incels have little to no self awareness; even when they see other "ugly" men with girlfriends, they consider these men to be tricksters who have somehow beat the system and can get women despite being cursed with unattractiveness (in other words, theyre respectful to women and women are attracted to their personalities, but incels cant comprehend such a phenomenon). they believe that women owe them sex, and many of the more extreme incels like to spend time in incel communities on the internet coming up with ways to make women have sex with them (often involving genocide of people of color, genocide of "Chads" (men who have sex), taking rights away from women, raping them, having sex with women's dead bodies, and other horrid, disgusting things. they cant understand that that is PRECISELY why women want nothing to do with them)."
- simp: "Someone who does way too much for a person they like. Someone who will say anything to please someone, particularly a girl, in the hopes that they will be in good favor with that person."
- red-pilled: "A reference to the matrix used in politics. "You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." Usually means that a Liberal has become more right winged."
- doge: "A very popular meme of a Shiba Inu dog with a strange look on his face. It went viral all over the internet. Now Doge is a dog meme. Most pictures of Doge are accompanied by words, usually the following: so, very, wow, much, such, and many."
- cope: "A cope or coping mechanism, is a psychological strategy whereby someone rejects a harsh truth, and adopts a less disturbing belief instead. It is a term often used my looksmaxing incels to indicate that a given strategy is invalid or ineffective."
*bonus : baste is a portmanteau word; a mix of 'based' and 'namaste'.
Most definitions were 'top definition' from _Urban Dictionary_